What is Wellspring Calgary?
- Warm and welcoming centre of support for ANYONE living with ANY type of cancer, and those who love and care for them.
- Provides evidence-informed programs, resources and support free of charge and without need for referral – supporting the body, mind and spirit.
- In 2017 alone, 4,898 members had access to 31,848 hours of program delivery.
- Supporting this, 186 volunteers donated 11,626 hours of their time. In addition, another 200 event-day volunteers donated 1,050 hours of their time.
No one has to face cancer alone.
Wellspring Calgary is a warm and welcoming community that provides a comprehensive range of support, resources and programs so anyone living with cancer and the people who care about them can improve the quality of their lives.
A cancer diagnosis can be devastating. It brings countless life-altering moments and events for the people who receive the diagnosis and for those who love them. People with cancer are compelled to find a new ‘normal,’ before, during and after treatment. Priorities shift, relationships change, life is … different. At Wellspring, people living with cancer tell us what helps them the most – having access to information, receiving support, and learning new ways to cope. Wellspring Calgary is a charitable organization which supports, informs and empowers those diagnosed with cancer by helping them address the fear, isolation, disruption and practical problems which cancer can bring to their lives. In operation since 2007 and an affiliate of the Wellspring Cancer Support Foundation, Wellspring Calgary provides a comprehensive range of programs, support and resources so anyone living with cancer and the people who care about them can improve the quality of their lives. All programs and services are informed by evidence and offered free of charge and without referral in a warm, caring, and welcoming community-based centre nestled in the trees near the Bow River. Wellspring was exceptionally fortunate to have Brookfield Residential Properties, formerly Carma, build and gift Wellspring’s first centre, “Carma House” to the organization to deliver programs. Because of significant need, Wellspring exceeded capacity in this centre and is proceeding towards construction of a second Calgary center situated near the South Health Campus. An interim south Calgary center was opened in September 2016, at Fountain Court, enabling the organization to meet the demand for the organization’s programs and services and will remain operational until the new center can be constructed and program delivery commenced. The new centre of support, “Randy O’Dell House”, is scheduled to open in the summer of 2019 will not only serve Calgarians, but will be a platform for serving southern Alberta, ensuring that individuals who are unable to make it to Calgary receive critical supports… Wellspring Calgary’s work.
An invitation from
Patti Morris, Executive Director
A cancer diagnosis can turn your life upside down. Wellspring Calgary members ‘get’ that. At Wellspring Calgary, anyone with any kind of cancer, as well as their family members and caregivers, at any point along the cancer journey, will find a unique set of evidence-informed programs, resources and support — as well as laughter, camaraderie and understanding — all under one roof – and all provided free of charge. Since it opened in 2007, Wellspring Calgary has evolved into a community labour of love and compassion. We receive no core government funding, but instead exist thanks to volunteer and financial support from generous community members, businesses, and people … LIKE YOU.
It is with all this in mind that I invite you to take part in the fifth annual Light it Up Calgary, an event hosted by a group of inspiring Calgarians, eager to support Wellspring Calgary and our members. This unique and very fun run and walk after dark is intended to both raise awareness and funds to support Wellspring Calgary’s ongoing ability to provide vital programs.Not a runner? Please don’t be intimidated – this is a FUN walk and run for ANYONE and EVERYONE. Not able to be with us on April 6th? Please consider still taking part by making a donation and by encouraging others to do the same.
Community support — the same grassroots support that has been instrumental in nurturing Wellspring Calgary since its establishment will both be present as we walk and run together, and will be the outcome, as together we will continue to ensure that programs are freely available for everyone who can benefit.Wellspring Calgary is a beautiful example of what happens when many people come together in many ways to make a profound difference in people’s lives. We believe no one should have to face cancer alone — and I invite you to play a role in making that possible.
Join the Wellspring Calgary Team
Simple Steps to help you join the Wellspring Light it Up Calgary Team!
1. Visit HERE
2. There is a chart with all the Event Names. Beside Team Registration click on Register Now! ***It is very important that you click on “Register Now!” beside “Team Registration”, if you choose the option beside 3KM Walk, 5KM Run/Walk or 10KM Run you will not be able to choose which team you want to join.
3. You will be asked for your running room account information or to sign up for an account.
4. On the first page of registration enter your individual registration information and then click on “confirm and continue”.
5. On the second page, answer the first four questions including which distance you will be participating in (3KM, 5KM or 10KM) and then under the team section select “Team Member”.
6. Select the Wellspring Calgary Team
7. Enter the team password rih34zaf
8. Continue with the regular registration process! Don’t forget to purchase your Light it up Calgary event t-shirt and/or headlamp.